Do you have a swimming pool? What the Swimming Pool Register amendments mean for you


April 30, 2013 by Todd

The Swimming Pools Amendment Act 2012 (NSW) was assented to on 29 October 2012.  Among other changes, these new laws have led to the creation of the New South Wales Swimming Pool Register.

Registration of swimming pools

If you are the owner of a property on which there is situated an indoor or outdoor swimming pool (which includes a spa pool but does not include a spa bath or anything else situated in a bathroom) you must register your swimming pool by 29 October 2013.  If you do not, you may be fined up to $2,200.

You can register your swimming pool in one of two ways:

(i) You can provide the NSW Government with the information they require directly.  You can do this by visiting the online Swimming Pool Register at  Registration is free;

(ii) You can provide your local Council with the necessary information together with any fee which they may require (contact your local Council for more information about that).  Your local Council will then provide the information to the NSW Government for you.

You do not need to obtain a certificate of compliance to register your swimming pool.  You can conduct a self-assessment.

You will receive a document showing that your swimming pool has been registered after registration has been completed.  That document is proof that you have registered your swimming pool.

What are your obligations if you want to sell your property?

From 29 April 2014, if you want to sell your property and it has a swimming pool, you will need to produce either a valid certificate of compliance or an occupation certificate with evidence that you have registered your swimming pool.  The certificate of compliance is issued to you after either a local Council officer or an accredited certifier inspects your property and satisfies themselves that your swimming pool complies with the law.  You can expect to pay up to $70 if your local Council conducts the inspection. An accredited certifier may charge more or less.

What if you want to rent your property?

Again, from 29 April 2014, you will need to prove that you have registered your swimming pool and that you have a valid certificate of compliance or an occupation certificate.  A copy of the relevant document must be given to the tenant.

For more information:

The Swimming Pool Register web site:

An article about the Swimming Pool Register: ABC News article.


Sorry, comments are closed.