Todd is an Accredited Specialist in Family Law.
Family law is a broad and complex area of law. It includes disputes about:
– where your children live and who they spend time with;
– child support;
– property settlement at the end of a marriage or de facto relationship;
– spousal maintenance;
– paternity of children;
– the rights of grandparents and other persons to seek parenting orders;
– child abduction (both within Australia and outside Australia);
– financial agreements before and during marriage and de facto relationships;
– adoption; and
It is essential that your family lawyer have excellent knowledge in these varied areas to get the best results for you.
A family lawyer must also have knowledge of and be skilled in alternative dispute resolution (mediation, conciliation and arbitration) and litigation. Further, a good family lawyer must also have excellent knowledge and skills in other areas if you are to increase your chances of achieving a positive outcome. For example:
– In matters relating to property and finances, a good family lawyer should also have knowledge of taxation law as it relates to the management of any capital gains tax and stamp duty liability, the law of trusts and business organisations in relation to complex property arrangements, an understanding of accounting principles in order to interpret financial statements, balance sheets and asset valuations, and an understanding of property law in relation to conveyancing and the implementation of any agreement reached about real estate.
– In matters relating to your children, a good family lawyer should also have an knowledge of relevant research relating to matters including psychology and psychiatry, power relationships between individuals, domestic violence, the attachment needs of children, and the various circumstances in which children may be considered to be at risk of harm in the care of other persons.
Let our knowledge be your edge. Contact us now.
Articles about family law
Do you want to resolve your family law dispute with your ex without going to Court? Do you need a …
Perhaps you’ve separated from your partner, and you need to find out about your rights in relation to a property …
If you are involved in proceedings in the Family Court or the Federal Circuit Court in relation to a family …
A new article, published in the Fairfax newspaper The Age, suggests that attitudes towards fathers in family law parenting disputes …
If you read Saturday’s Newcastle Herald, you would have seen that some schools are already advertising for school enrolments for …
When this article may be helpful In a family law matter, it is still common for there to be one …
Sometimes when I see a family law client for the first time they will ask me whether they can ask …
When you separate from your partner or spouse, you have a lot to deal with. The practical stuff like finding …
A financial agreement is a document by which you and your partner or spouse can legally record the agreement which …
Separations are already difficult enough. If you have children, you generally don’t get to see your kids as much as …